In this article, we’ve given you a complete guide to starting your own Shopify store. From what it is and how it works to the benefits of using Shopify as an eCommerce platform – all without any hidden costs or complications – we hope that this has been helpful for you. If so, let us know by leaving a comment below! Disclaimer: I am not endorsed by or affiliated with Shopify but I do have first-hand experience using their service and managing my own eCommerce business using Shopify so I know how it works in detail. If you would like any help starting up your own Shopify-based business then please contact me here.
Welcome to my guide on how to start your own Shopify store. This guide is going to cover who should use Shopify, the benefits of using Shopify, and some frequently asked questions with answers. This article’s target audience is novices and people just starting out selling online.
I am sure by now you have heard about Shopify if you’re looking for information on how to start a Shopify store so I will keep it brief without all the waffle.
Shopify is one of the easiest ways to set up an eCommerce business as there are no technical skills required meaning you can literally sign up and within 1 hour be selling items online. There is also no need for additional web hosting or for complex coding to be done. As everything is controlled within the Shopify dashboard meaning that changes to your website can be made very quickly.
When you use Shopify it’s like having a mini version of amazons web services under your own control which means you don’t need to manage any servers, security upgrades, or backups.
Shopify store – Benefits
- Free trial (14 days) so no risk involved in building up your online store with Shopify
- Hassle-free setup time as there are no complex technical requirements needed. This means you are up and running in 1 hour from signup whereas other eCommerce companies are looking for 3 weeks to get started!
- Shopify has excellent payment options including PayPal and all major credit cards
- Shopify has an excellent range of apps that can be used to add extra features and functionality to your Shopify store including a wide range of SEO modules. I will be going through some of the apps in a later article when I talk about how to get traffic to your Shopify store.
- Shopify has an excellent knowledge base that is growing all the time so you don’t need support tickets raised for minor issues as they are quick to respond and very helpful with their customer service.
There are many reasons why people use Shopify but here are what I feel are the most important ones:
- Hassle-free setup from signup (1 hour)
- Free trial (14 days)
- Shopify apps are available to grow your store functionality and usability.
- Excellent customer service from Shopify staff
- Security, no need for complex security as everything is done through the Shopify dashboard and managed within the admin area meaning there are fewer chances of you getting hacked!
Related Post: Shopify Referral Program in 2021: Best Apps
Frequently asked questions about Shopify stores:
Can I use my own domain name? Yes, you can but this is usually not recommended as it’s better to build up your brand with a subdomain via Shopify. This means that all your SEO efforts will be shared between both domains so there isn’t any benefit from having a separate website. If you have separate hosting then this won’t work either unless you have some very advanced configuring skills then you can try and set up Shopify on a different domain.
Can I add my own branding? Yes, this is possible but it’s not recommended as Shopify has excellent branding templates which look very professional and also benefit from having the shared SEO benefits mentioned above. If you do want to add your own branding, Shopify has a guide for turning off its brand elements here. This of course will make some of the advanced apps not work correctly so it isn’t really recommended unless you know what you’re doing!
How does Shopify get paid? Shopify charges a fee per transaction processed through their checkout system or if you processing orders via Shopify then they charge a flat monthly fee starting from $14/mth. There are no other hidden fees as everything is charged this way so it’s an easy formula to follow and manage your cash flow on a monthly basis.
How long does the Shopify store take to load? Shopify stores tend to feel very fast as there is no complex code on the back end which makes the shop slow, they use simple coding and high-performance servers which means that conversion rates for visitors becoming customers is very high.
In this article, we’ve given you a complete guide to starting your own Shopify store. From what it is and how it works to the benefits of using Shopify as an eCommerce platform – all without any hidden costs or complications – we hope that this has been helpful for you. If so, let us know by leaving a comment below!
I am not endorsed by or affiliated with Shopify but I do have first-hand experience using their service and managing my own eCommerce business using Shopify so I know how it works in detail. If you would like any help starting up your own Shopify-based business then please contact me here.